David Angeli represents individuals and corporations in complex criminal, regulatory, and civil matters. Mr. Angeli is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers and is ranked in “Band 1” by Chambers & Partners. He has repeatedly been named as one of the Best Lawyers in America in the categories of “Bet-the-Company” Litigation, White-Collar Criminal Defense, and Commercial Litigation, and holds the distinction of being the only lawyer in the State of Oregon to be included in all three of those categories. Best Lawyers in America has recognized Mr. Angeli as the White-Collar Criminal Defense “Lawyer of the Year” for Portland on multiple occasions. He is ranked in the top 10 among Oregon’s “Super Lawyers” and is rated AV Preeminent by Martindale Hubbell, having received a peer review rating of 5.0 out of 5.0.
David Angeli continues to enhance his already formidable reputation as a distinguished civil, criminal and commercial litigator. One source enthuses that "he is the best white-collar crime lawyer on the West Coast of the US, and is wickedly smart."Chambers USA
“Excellent trial lawyer. David Angeli has outstanding expertise in criminal and civil litigation, as well as commercial matters. He draws particular praise for his white-collar crime work. A client regards him as ‘one of the finest trial lawyers I've ever seen.’”Chambers USA
A former U.S. Navy officer and pilot who served in the first Gulf War, Mr. Angeli served as a law clerk to Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson on the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia. Mr. Angeli was Judge Jackson’s primary law clerk in the seminal antitrust case, United States v. Microsoft Corporation. Thereafter, he practiced at Williams & Connolly LLP in Washington, DC, before joining Stoel Rives LLP in Portland, Oregon, where he was a partner in the firm’s litigation group. Mr. Angeli has served as a Vice Chair of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers’ White-Collar Crime Committee and as an Adjunct Professor of Law at the Lewis & Clark Law School, where he taught a Federal White-Collar Crime Seminar. He serves as Vice Chair of the Board of the Oregon Humane Society and as a member of the Board of Literary Arts and is a past member of the Executive Committee of the Board of Planned Parenthood Columbia Willamette.
- Represented a former Enron executive in criminal and civil litigation alleging conspiracy, securities fraud, wire fraud, insider trading, and money laundering. After a three-month federal criminal trial in Houston, the client was not convicted on any of the 27 counts with which he was charged.
- Obtained an acquittal on all counts after a three-week federal jury trial in which the government alleged that a member of the FBI’s Hostage Rescue Team obstructed justice in connection with the shooting of one of the leaders of the armed takeover of the Malheur Wildlife Refuge in eastern Oregon.
- Represented a major financial institution suing another financial institution in a Delaware case arising out of the sale of a consumer credit card company. Won summary judgment in an amount in excess of $90 million and a verdict at trial for an additional amount exceeding $25 million.
- Currently defending the former Chief Security Officer of a publicly traded technology company against federal criminal charges arising out of a data breach.
- Obtained a complete defense verdict on behalf of a large manufacturer after a multi-week federal jury trial involving multiple plaintiffs alleging age discrimination.
- Successfully defended the Chief Executive Officer of a multinational manufacturing company against civil securities fraud claims, obtaining summary judgment on all claims.
- Currently defending the former Chief Executive Officer of a large California company against federal antitrust claims alleging price-fixing.
- Currently defending a large manufacturer in a class action brought on behalf of thousands of property owners asserting claims for damages arising out of alleged air pollution occurring over a period of approximately ten years.
- Currently defending a manufacturer in the high-tech industry against federal civil claims alleging theft of trade secrets.
- Represented the former Chief Information Officer of the Oregon Health Authority in connection with numerous investigations and litigation involving Oregon’s technical implementation of the Affordable Care Act. The client was exonerated of any wrongdoing and we obtained a $1.3 million settlement on her behalf from the State of Oregon relating to the circumstances surrounding her termination.
- Represented a client accused of engaging in a $200 million tax fraud scheme, in a case described by the U.S. Department of Justice as “by far the largest criminal tax case in the history of Oregon.” After five years of investigation and litigation, including a contested sentencing hearing in which the government sought a substantial prison sentence, we secured a sentence of probation without any prison time, fine, or restitution requirement imposed on the client.
- Obtained an extremely favorable settlement for a large manufacturing company who brought a federal lawsuit alleging that a group of suppliers engaged in a multi-million-dollar price-fixing conspiracy.
- Represented an individual indicted in Tennessee on federal charges stemming from the alleged payment of kickbacks in connection with a federal Medicaid program. Days before trial, all charges were dismissed.
- Represented numerous corporations and individuals in connection with investigations into, and prosecutions of, alleged federal and state environmental violations. For example, we represented an individual and his company in one of the flagship felony prosecutions in the Oregon Attorney General’s aggressive regime of environmental criminal enforcement. After extensive litigation, including a five-day evidentiary hearing over the admissibility of the State’s scientific evidence, the State eventually dropped all 36 felony charges in exchange for a misdemeanor plea involving no jail time.
- Represented a major national health care provider in a federal criminal investigation into Medicare billing practices. After months of investigation and negotiation, the Justice Department ultimately declined prosecution.
- Represented the founder of a charity in connection with allegations of sending millions of dollars to Iran in violation of OFAC regulations. At a lengthy contested sentencing hearing, the government argued strenuously for a 30-month term of imprisonment. As the Oregonian reported in a lead editorial the next day, we prevailed, and the client did not spend even a day in prison.
- Represented numerous companies, primarily in the defense and healthcare industries, in connection with civil and criminal False Claims Act investigations and litigation.
- Represented a senior official at the Oregon Department of Energy in connection with an aggressive investigation into allegations of favoritism in awarding a government contract. We vigorously contested the allegations, ultimately leading to the Oregon Department of Justice dropping the investigation altogether and to the resignation of the Chief of the Department’s Criminal Division based on the Department’s missteps during the investigation. In the face of our threats to sue in light of those missteps, the State agreed to reimburse our client for the attorneys’ fees she incurred during the investigation, and to compensate her for the turmoil that she endured.
- Represented a multinational aerospace company in federal litigation alleging that a senior engineer stole sensitive trade secrets and other materials upon his departure to work for a competing company. Obtained a permanent injunction barring the use of the client’s trade secrets and other confidential materials.
- Represented a prominent individual in a claim alleging that the State of Oregon maliciously prosecuted him; after aggressive discovery and motions practice, the State agreed to pay the client a substantial amount to settle the matter.
- Obtained a permanent injunction in the U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon in a theft of trade secrets case involving a former regional sales representative of a major medical device manufacturer.
- Represented an international lending organization in connection with its investigations of suspected fraud and corruption relating to the execution of various projects worldwide.
- Led numerous internal corporate investigations into allegations of health care fraud, Customs violations, environmental crimes, and financial improprieties.
- Represented a national media organization under criminal investigation in Colorado for allegedly illegal news-gathering practices. The investigation was ultimately terminated after we presented exculpatory evidence and legal arguments.
- Obtained a multi-million-dollar settlement for landowners in eastern Oregon resulting from unfair debt collection practices.