Fraud and abuse in the health care industry remains a major law enforcement priority at both the federal and state levels. The Angeli Law Group ’s lawyers have handled a number of these matters, coordinating joint defense teams, conducting internal investigations, collecting and analyzing millions of documents, and mounting challenges to novel theories of criminal liability posed by prosecutors. In a number of instances, our attorneys have obtained favorable, non-criminal resolutions allowing clients to avoid or minimize collateral consequences such as Medicare/Medicaid exclusion and disciplinary actions by professional licensing boards.
- Represented a major national health care provider in a federal criminal investigation into allegedly fraudulent Medicare billing practices. After a thorough internal investigation and presentation to the government, the Justice Department ultimately declined prosecution.
- Represented a state contractor indicted on federal charges stemming from the alleged payment of kickbacks in connection with a large federal Medicaid program. Days before trial, all criminal charges were dismissed.
- Represented several large pharmaceutical companies in connection with Oregon Department of Justice investigations into allegedly unlawful trade practices.
- Representing a co-owner of a laboratory in a federal criminal investigation of alleged kickbacks paid to physicians in exchange for sending samples.
- Represented an individual in connection with an investigation into Medicare billing practices allegedly involving unqualified and unlicensed technicians. After a thorough investigation and months of negotiation, no criminal or civil action was brought.