The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), the U.K. Bribery Act, the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) Convention, and recent Chinese criminal law reforms have increased the reach and scope of governmental anti-bribery efforts. In recent years, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, the U.S. Department of Justice, and foreign governments have dramatically increased their enforcement efforts in that area. In addition, in the wake of the events of September 11, 2001, the U.S. Departments of Justice, Commerce, and State, as well as the Department of Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control, have stepped up their efforts to enforce restrictions on exports to and imports from certain countries. The Angeli Law Group has represented clients in matters involving allegations of bribery, public corruption, FCPA violations, contracting and program fraud, bid rigging schemes, and violations of various export controls.
- Represented a major international lending organization in connection with its investigations of suspected fraud and corruption relating to the execution of various projects worldwide.
- Represented the founder and president of an international charity alleged to have sent more than $10 million to Iran in violation of OFAC regulations and numerous other federal laws. After a contested sentencing proceeding in which the government argued vigorously for a 30-month prison sentence, we succeeded in our arguments in favor of a probationary sentence.
- Represented a former senior government official in connection with investigations into the design and implementation of Oregon’s online healthcare exchange under the Affordable Care Act. After a lengthy investigation, the government declined to prosecute.
- Represented a senior official at an Oregon state agency in connection with a highly publicized criminal investigation into alleged favoritism in awarding a public contract. After months of argument and litigation, no criminal charges were brought, the client was reinstated to her position in state government, and the State of Oregon provided compensation to the client, including reimbursement for the legal fees she incurred in connection with the investigation.
- Represented a high-ranking government official in a federal prosecution involving allegations that he accepted millions of dollars of kickbacks from vendors in exchange for awarding lucrative government contracts.
- Conducted internal investigations on behalf of numerous publicly traded and privately held corporations into allegations of illegal payments made to public officials overseas.